Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fall Poinsettias

Happy first day of Autumn!

I don't know if it is because I was a child of the Seventies or what, but I do love the fall colors when the season comes around. Oranges, rusts, golds and yellows...  Living in Florida, however, does limit the amount of *natural* fall colors that come into my life.  So I'm relegated to finding somewhat artificial ways of introducing the pallet into everyday life.

After gathering up the tired, worn Christmas poinsettias from the family gravesites last year, I had stuck them in a plastic trash bag (and promptly forgot about them) where I thought I might somehow spruce them up and recycle them this year--Florida, wet, hot, mildew, sun-fading, yuk!  haha!  Still where there is a will, there is a way, and I decided to spray-paint them in fall colors. Looking on the net produced nothing, so I felt the grave (haha!) responsibility of producing a how-to of my project...  um... IF it turned out.

I think it did, so here ya go!

Before...


After...


An empty box served as a paint station.  Wanting to keep the flowers in their bouquets, I isolated each stem through the box flaps.  A paper towel ripped halfway up the center further isolated the flowers from the leaves.

I simply spray painted the flower with orange.  Initially, I used brown on the tips and center, then experimented with yellow, but with this project, I determined less is more.


                                                    (^^^awesome action shot!!!^^^)

Turns out the mildew stains and sun-fading actually enhanced the look of the finished product, and all I did besides the orange was a spot of gold on the center cyathia (<<million dollar word!)



If you are a Glitter Girl, then of course, there is one more step to go before displaying your Fall poinsettias.  Go for it!  But me, not so much, so I'm good to go.

Here is a fun website with information on the real poinsettia plant: Poinsettia Facts

I believe I have indeed produced the very first orange poinsettia! Now how to use it in my decorating... Any suggestions?  :-]





Have a great fall season!



No comments:

Post a Comment