Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Favorite Topic--Part 1

Most mothers will admit that their favorite topic of discussion is their children.  I am no exception to this rule.  My children are the most interesting and fulfilling aspect of my life here on earth.  Since I have heard that "a very good place to start" is the beginning, that is where I will start.

I grew up in a household with three children.  I was the youngest.  I experienced the worst side of this phenomenon, which is the "two against one" syndrome.  Hence, when discussing the topic of children with my future husband I was staunch in my desire of having either two or four.  We have four.  :-]

The oldest is a girl, just as I had planned.  I had an older brother after all...  Melinda was talented artistically.  She loved to paint, draw, and create.  When 14, Rhonda, the director of our children's theater, asked her to costume her production of "Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp".  She designed, and I sewed.  She had a great eye for fabrics and character concepts.  From then on she costumed (having learned to sew herself) many of Rhonda's shows, overlapping her talents with costuming for her high school drama program.  She did shows such as Aida, Cyrano de Bergerac (which she also directed), and Oklahoma!  As a Junior, she not only received Critic's Choice at District Thespian Competition, but was selected as the District Representative for all the technical theater entries.  She is now majoring in Costuming at one of our large State Universities.  She is quite respected by her professors, and earned two scholarships after they saw what she was capable of doing.

Now 22, she still loves to paint, create and design other art, and has a website displaying her work.  She is fluent in German, having taken 4 years in high school, and living for a year in and around Cologne after graduating high school.  She is also a successful retail salesperson at White House Black Market.  I love spending time with her, as she has grown into a gracious, intelligent and need I say, talented young woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment