Monday, November 1, 2010

Artist interrupted...

I am a frustrated artist.  I tend to be creative in many areas--songwriting, sewing, drawing, designing whatever needs designing--but in the area of creating art, I am frustrated.  Give my daughter a blank canvas and she creates.  Give her a blank anything--wall, notebook, cat--and she will paint it.  Me?  I stare at it.  Cock my head at it, turn it around, upside-down, backwards, I can't *do* anything with it.  There is a lot inside me that wants to get out, but it won't come out when the opportunity presents itself. 

Mostly what I do end up doing artistically is what someone tells me to do.  I have designed shows for theatrical productions--backdrops, sets, costumes--ask me to paint a brick wall and I'm there, baby!  But I guess I have to have something to go by...  a script, a concept, a direction. 

That is what is frustrating.  I am going to try, though...  I'll let you know if I'm successful.  When I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll show you!  ;-]

No comments:

Post a Comment